When life feels crazy and in control of you, it's good to remember that in the midst of all kinds of emotions like stress, sickness, laziness, overindulgence, cowardice and others that you have control over more than you think. My mentor, Rhonda Shasteen, says you can only control what you think, say and do. Here are a few reminders of what you can control and why.
- Happiness– You have the right and option to choose happiness It's not always easy, but I've learned it takes less energy to choose to be happy than to let yourself stay upset.
- Love– You can choose love over hating and fighting. You can choose to love a friend or spouse after disappointing events. It takes some time to process it all, but you can move on to love.
- Forgiveness-People love to stay angry and hold a grudge for an offence. We sue, run away, hit, and sulk over hurt, being let down and abuse. Choosing forgiveness, like choosing love also takes less energy whereas forgiveness can take a lot of time depending on the severity of the offense. It's not a one time overnight decision. I find I have to forgive others and myself repeatedly overtime once a wound is opened.
- Trust– Have you been lied to in the past? That can make it very hard to move on and trust. As uncomfortable as it may feel, trust is also a choice.
- Discipline- You may rather watch a movie on the sofa and eat a pint of ice cream, but choosing discipline to eat well, exercise and achieve any goal boils down to choosing discipline.
Making these choices isn't easy when you aren't in the mood. Practice makes perfect. I challenge you to go outside the comfort zone and make new choices because you can!